I eat turkey all throughout the year, but it's fun to find new ways to highlight it in the fall when it's the first protein that comes to mind for many meals. I found a recipe recently that I forwarded to Mom, and we decided it was time to schedule a cooking date!
These turkey taco lettuce wraps are delicious! There are a ton of spices that really boost the flavor (for those of you meat-lovers who may not be as keen on this lean protein), and the tomato sauce keeps it moist. I give this dish a thumbs up for flavor and a thumb lick for it's somewhat messy but very fun presentation.
Here are some pics and the recipe I tweaked:
- 1.3 lbs 99% lean ground turkey
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp oregano
- 2 bell peppers, diced (red and green add a little color)
- ¾ cup water
- 4 oz can tomato sauce
- 8 large lettuce leaves from Iceberg lettuce
- Optional toppings: cheese, tomatoes, sour cream
- Brown turkey in a large skillet.
- Add dry seasonings to turkey and mix well.
- Add pepper, water, and tomato sauce and cover. Simmer on low for about 20 minutes. Take the lid off and simmer until liquid has evaporated.
- Wash and dry the lettuce. Place meat in the center of lettuce leaves and add optional toppings, if desired.